I traveled to Kanazawa (Ishikawa Prefecture) and Gokayama (Toyama Prefecture) for three days and two nights. This was my first visit to Hokuriku District and I felt unique atmosphere there. In this article, I will write about Buke Yashiki District, 21st Century Museum and D.T. Suzuki Museum as part of Day 1.
[Visit Places (series of articles)]
* Day 1 (1) Kanazawa Station, Omi-cho Market and Oyama Jinja Shrine
* Day 1 (2) Buke Yashiki District, 21st Century Museum and D.T. Suzuki Museum [This article]
* Day 1 (3) Kanazawa Castle Park and Kanazawa Station (Illumination)
* Day 2 (1) Kenrokuen Garden
* Day 2 (2) Kanazawa Castle Park
* Day 2 (3) Higashi Chaya District and Kazue-machi Chaya District
* Day 2 (4) Higashi Chaya District and Kazue-machi Chaya District (Light-up)
* Day 3 (1) Gokayama: Suganuma Gassho-zukuri Village
* Day 3 (2) Gokayama: Ainokura Gassho-zukuri Village
* Day 3 (3) Kanazawa Station
After Oyama Jinja Shrine I wrote in the previous article, I moved to Naga-machi Buke Yashiki District.
Naga-machi Buke Yashiki District
Kanazawa was developed as a castle town during Edo period. Naga-machi area keeps its old atmosphere.
Nomura Samurai Family Residence.
Around Korinbo and Kata-machi
Korinbo and Kata-machi is the largest entertainment district in Kanazawa. There are many shops, cafes and restaurants in this area.
Korinbo Atrio, a commercial complex.
Ishikawa Shiko Memorial Cultural Community Hall.
The Shiinoki Cultural Complex, Ishikawa Prefecture.
Take a break.
21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa
The 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa was opened in 2004 to develop new culture and arts. Now about 2 million people visit the museum every year. You can enjoy pop and colorful arts.
Exterior of the museum.
“Color Activity House”.
Exhibition called “Xijing Is Not Xijing, Therefore Xijing Is Xijing”.
D.T. Suzuki Museum
D.T. Suzuki Museum is a museum to commemorate Daisetsu Suzuki, a prominent Buddhist philosopher known as D.T. Suzuki. In contrast to the 21st Century Museum, D.T. Suzuki Museum was very calm and solemn.
I had a Japanese noodle for dinner at “Sara-shina Fujii”.
That’s it for the article about Naga-machi Buke Yashiki District, 21st Century Museum of Contemporary Art, Kanazawa and D.T. Suzuki Museum as part of Day 1. This was my first visit to Kanazawa and I found Kanazawa has a variety of tourist spots from old spots to contemporary spots, so it was very interesting 🙂
In the next article, I will write about night illumination at Kanazawa Castle Park and Kanazawa Station.